An Historical Vignette of Oak Hill, Fauquier County: Home of John Marshall, Chief Justice of the United States and Native Son of Fauquier County

By: T. Triplett Russell and John K. Gott

Price: $16.00

Quantity: 1 available

Book Details: 94 pages, 5.5x8.5, (2000), 2005, 5.5x8.5, paper, 94 pp, Softcover, Heritage Books, Inc


More Description

This is the history of a house, of the land on which it was built, of those who built it and lived in it, and of the circumstances that made it as we see it today. The original builder would be considered an important historical personage in his own right, were it not for the overshadowing greatness of his son. It is a house of great architectural interest. It is, in fact, two houses. The first one, built in 1773, is a rare example of a Fauquier County farmhouse of the colonial period, left virtually unaltered by succeeding generations. The second house, built in 1818, is a sophisticated temple-form structure of the Federal period. It retains most of its original finely-detailed woodwork. It is noteworthy that the earlier house has not, as is so often the case, been replaced or absorbed by the later, larger house. Instead, both have survived, affording an interesting comparison between the differing tastes of two generations, one in the middle of the eighteenth century and one of the early nineteenth century. The history of the land extends back some forty years before the first house was built, and that is the starting point for this book.

Title: An Historical Vignette of Oak Hill, Fauquier County: Home of John Marshall, Chief Justice of the United States and Native Son of Fauquier County

Author: T. Triplett Russell and John K. Gott

Categories: Virginia,

Publisher: Heritage Books, Inc: (2000)

ISBN Number: 1585495913

ISBN Number 13: 9781585495917

Binding: Softcover

Book Details: 94 pages, 5.5x8.5, (2000), 2005, 5.5x8.5, paper, 94 pp, Softcover, Heritage Books, Inc

Seller ID: R0591

Description: This is the history of a house, of the land on which it was built, of those who built it and lived in it, and of the circumstances that made it as we see it today. The original builder would be considered an important historical personage in his own right, were it not for the overshadowing greatness of his son. It is a house of great architectural interest. It is, in fact, two houses. The first one, built in 1773, is a rare example of a Fauquier County farmhouse of the colonial period, left virtually unaltered by succeeding generations. The second house, built in 1818, is a sophisticated temple-form structure of the Federal period. It retains most of its original finely-detailed woodwork. It is noteworthy that the earlier house has not, as is so often the case, been replaced or absorbed by the later, larger house. Instead, both have survived, affording an interesting comparison between the differing tastes of two generations, one in the middle of the eighteenth century and one of the early nineteenth century. The history of the land extends back some forty years before the first house was built, and that is the starting point for this book.
94 pages, 5.5x8.5, (2000), 2005, 5.5x8.5, paper, 94 pp, Softcover, Heritage Books, Inc

Keywords: NEW,